- CAT scan
- nounan image produced by scanning-
he analyzed the brain scan-
you could see the tumor in the CAT scan• Syn: ↑scan
* * *\\ˈkat-, ˌsēˌāˈtē-\ nounUsage: usually capitalized C&A&T: a sectional view of the body made by computed tomography — called also CT scan• cat scanning noun, usually capitalized C&A&T
* * */kat/1. an examination performed with a CAT scanner.2. an x-ray image obtained by examination with a CAT scanner.Also, CT scan.[1970-75; C(OMPUTERIZED) A(XIAL) T(OMOGRAPHY)]
* * *CAT scan or CT scan noun1. An image produced by such a machine2. An examination with such a machine.• • •Main Entry: ↑CAT scanner
* * *a medical test in which computer technology is used for producing an image of the inside of a part of your body, or the image that is produced in this way http://www.macmillandictionary.com/med2cd/weblinks/cat-scan.htmThesaurus: medical tests and examinationshyponymVariant: CT scan
* * *CAT scan,1. an X-ray picture made by computerized axial tomography: »
CAT scans depict cross sections or slices of any region of the body as seen looking down through the patient, head to foot (Irwin J. Polk).2. = CAT scanner. (Cf. ↑CAT scanner)3. = CAT scanning. (Cf. ↑CAT scanning)
* * *n. an X-ray image made using computerized axial tomographyDerivatives:CAT scanner n.
* * */ˈkæt-/ noun, pl ⋯ scans [count]medical : a picture of the inside of a part of your body that is made by a computerized machine — called also CT scanCAT scanner noun, pl ⋯ -ners [count]
* * *a medical examination that uses a computer to produce an image of the inside of sb's body from ↑X-ray or ↑ultrasound picturesSee also: ↑CT scan
Useful english dictionary. 2012.